Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Torch Trail Day 3

I was reminded today of the special faces that often stick out.  An unfortunate thing about working at camp is the countless faces that pass through that will remember you, but you probably will forget about them.  It's understandable; at least 40-50 or more new faces every week for several weeks in a summer, and if you return for other summers it greatly increases.  That being said, there are always ones that create a special impression on you, good and bad, and therefore stick out better in your mind.  Today I had an enthusiastic young man you spoke out very loud, but agreeing with me while I was speaking in chapel.  This young man is autistic, but he is special for his endearing heart and enthusiasm for life.  My mind wanders to many like him that I have had the wonderful opportunity of encountering.  Whether it was a french boy who was way too young to be at camp.  A troubled young man trying to stay out of jail.  A bully who just needed someone to care.  A kid who feels he has no family as he had been bounced from over a dozen foster homes.  Another in Fubu jeans who felt he was always in a fight.  They are memories in my mind, they once felt warm embrace of God in this camp, and while I have no idea where they are or what they are doing, God knows.  Praise God for this place where the sick, the lonely, the outcast can come and feel his love.  Blessed be the faithful servants that are the hands and feet of the God who longs to love them.

1 comment:

Jay Nelson said...

I'm reminded of a kid that clung to me all week but yet still punched me in the eye at one point!!! I was buying clothes 2 weeks ago when the sales girl asked me if I worked at Torch and I remembered her as a little girl that I taught canoeing to.