Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Torch Trail Day2

Shut up and preach.  No, someone didn't say this to me, but it was kind of my own self-motto.  Like I said yesterday, coming here has been a bit of coming home, but the temptation with that has been to talk about the old days.  I've been there when someone comes in and props themselves up in authority because they were there before you or had done it before; it's annoying!  Before I came I told myself I didn't want to be that guy, but yet I caught myself yesterday a few times doing just that.  So today I knew it had to be different.  I read this morning the beatitudes where Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit..."  I realized my job this week wasn't to pose as an authority on camp, but humbly present why we need Jesus.  The amazing result has been the opportunity to hear from the people here, who they are, and how they continue to carry the torch of ministry here at Torch Trail.  I preached the gospel tonight in chapel and everyone seemed to listen. Hopefully the campers allowed their hearts to be quiet and listen to God.

No comments: