Monday, June 14, 2010

Free Agency

If you are a sports fan, and particularly a basketball fan, you have heard of and thought of the upcoming free agent boom in the NBA. (As a Knick fan I have hope)  Some of the biggest superstars in the NBA are free agents; such as Lebron, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and Amare Stoudemire to name a few.  Some of the bottom-feeders of the league have been clearing cap space the last few seasons in anticipation of this summer hoping to sign one of these dynamic players and change the fortunes of their teams.  I have often wondered if we treated regular jobs like these athletic superstars.  The kid at the Co-op gets signed by Petro Canada for his superior skills at pumping gas; the waitress at the diner signs a multi-year deal with the Chinese restaraunt to make them a "contender". It kind of sounds ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure it would inflate egos to obnoxious levels and force many people to stay home out of disgust.  As this free agent season approaches and the hype surrounding it becomes a frenzy, I realize it's pretty ridiculous.  I think we've placed priorities on the wrong things in life and overpaid athletes when we should over-pay educators, medical professions, and law providers.  Yet again, I might forget all about that if the Knicks sign some all-stars and become contenders again; which I guess, is why I guess we are a society of free agent hype.

1 comment:

Jay Nelson said...

I agree with you that we should be overpaying educators!!!