Monday, June 21, 2010

Grad

Class of '96.  It's hard to believe that it has been 14 years since I graduated.  A person can't help but stroll down memory lane this time of year when young minds transition from highschool to the life beyond.  The thing that I always come back to when I take this stroll, is perspective changes things completely.  That is, there are times I wish I could have some of the care-free days of highschool; unfortunately I didn't think they were care-free at the time.  Here are some things I have learned since '96; some of them were learned the hard way.
1. Zits aren't a big deal
Now I realize, I have good skin, and zits were never a huge problem for me.  But what I am really saying is somedays I leave my house and my appearance would never be acceptable for a younger version of me.  It's funny how sometimes I don't care how I look.  The other night I went downtown and on my way there I realized I was wearing sandals with black socks; it was bad enough I was wearing socks/sandals combo, but black socks.  Young Adam would have been horrified to see my dad wearing that, but now I don't care.
2. Debt sucks
Despite what society preaches all the time with financing, credit cards, and easy loans; debt sucks!  There has been many years I missed out on fun because of the mass amounts of debt I piled on shortly after highschool.  I have spent a good chunk of the last few years cleaning it up.  It sucks to work, but it sucks to work to pay for your current expenses and clean up your old ones.  I always encourage young minds to avoid student loans and credit cards as much as possible.
3. Your future isn't locked in with one decision
At my age, I have already had a few career changes, and within a few months I realized my choice at grad for career was not for me.  I feel for youth who feel they have to decide their life in grade 12, but I assure them to take their time in deciding and relax.
4. Love is not the movies
Love from the movies is so over-romanticized, and unreal; it should be no surprise that people get divorced with this loft unreal view.  The truth is love is a commitment and takes work.  I love my wife, but it was not love at first sight, it took awhile to build our relationship, and some days we drive each other nuts, but we're committed to each other.
I'm sure there was someone who tried to past advice like this to me when I was graduating, and I probably shrugged it off figuring I knew best.  I wouldn't trade the ups and downs of the last 14 years because the journey made me who I am, and the mystique of that journey ahead is what made grad exciting.

1 comment:

Kim said...

very wise words from a very wise young man. Wait until you get to my age, your perspective will change once again.