Wednesday, January 31, 2007

When's it going to be too late?

It's been really weird, but lately I've been becoming more and more earth conscious. When I was a teenager I had a bad attitude like, "It's too late." or "What can I do?" The result was I was lazy about the little things to help the environment and I could care less about politcal issues and the environment. The truth is I never thought that the drastic effects of abusing the earth would be seen in my lifetime. The truth is the earth is hurting.
First of all, if you haven't seen "Inconvenient Truth" you need to, the evidence is undeniable. There are also several other documentaries or studies on animals that show global warming's results. I saw a documentary on penguins in Antartica and the sad thing was at the end a whole batch of young died because their home on the ice melted away before they developed swimming feathers; the surviving older penguins then had to find a new nesting ground next year.
The interesting thing is that there is all this evidence and people, especially governments say it's not a problem. One thing that is driving me nuts in Canadian politics is that the PC government is taking good environmental initiatives, especially to clean up the crap from many years of liberal laziness, but they are being criticized for not doing enough. They could do more, but it takes time.
The question I have for other governments especially our neighbors to the south is when is it going to be late?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liberal laziness! Dare we say it out loud? It always seems that the present government spends much of its time in power cleaning up the trash of the previous reign. I think Harper has been very proactive in doing what he promised, but he's citing the wrath of the opposition because they are running scared. What does an insecure kid do when someone shows up at school who is better at athletics, academics or just plain better looking? They start to junk talk them up. Anyways, our positions as Christians, as the church probably needs to be revisited when it comes to these societal ills. So what can I do from my little house in rural prairie SK to make a statement for the animals that are dying in the icefields?
Whoops, back to my never ending pile of reading for my thesis. Thanks for the distraction.