Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Basketball: The Underappreciated Younger Brother

Sorry I haven't updated my blog in awhile. Here's a rant on TV:
This week is a good week to be a basketball fan and have a satellite dish. Unfortunately, this has also shown the bias of Canadian sports broadcasters to hockey over basketball. You see, this week the NHL is on all-star break, and without games to broadcast Sportsnet and TSN suddenly are friends again with Basketball; broadcasting several games this week as opposed to maybe the one on average that they do broadcast. Don't get me wrong I like hockey, I watched the All-Star skills competition tonight, but it would be nice to see half the coverage of hockey for basketball. I guess I got my hopes up when the NHL lock-out was on; there was a basketball game on everynight, often several games. I loved it, but deep down inside I knew it couldn't last. Well, the lockout ended and it happened; hockey came back on TV with a vengence. Now all the Canadian Sportsnetworks hump hockey oozing it every second they can, and basketball has taken the backseat. I don't know if organizations like TSN know this, but basketball is booming, hockey is in decline. The NBA's current 2 time MVP is a Canadian!! The winner is TheScore sportsnetwork, they have picked up alot of the basketball slack broadcasting lots of games and showing basketball themed shows.
I just wish I had something like NBA Courtside pass, featuring all broadcasted NBA games, but that is only available from Direct TV, which is only available in the States. I really shouldn't complain I still get to see a lot of games.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Uuuhhhhh...heh heh...you said, 'hump'.

Matt said...

My family ran a american direct tv dish for a couple years (before it was completly illegal) and they showed 0% hockey, on tv or the Sportscenter so maybe the universe is just using Canadian broadcasters to balance out the lack of hockey on american channels.
Or it could be they are just playing to the markets, showing people what they want to see... sure basketball is on the rise but I'm afraid it will never catch the popularity of hockey... that and plus most people would rather watch one of the Canadian cities playing on tv then two american cities. Basketball may be on the rise, but anti-americanism is too. I am not opposed to basketball on tv, in fact I think if it was on more i might follow it closer (which sort of proves your point Adam) but the unfortunate fact is that tv people go with ratings numbers first and everything else second.