Thursday, October 12, 2006

Winnie's Bakery


This morning I became assistant baker to my Nana, Winnie. Those of you who are familiar with my family are familiar with my Nana's baking, especially at Christmas. As long as I can remember we have always had a great selection of goodies made by my Nana. Items such as Buttertarts, Spanish peanut square, covered cherries, Nanaimo bars, Peanutbutter Marshmallow squares, lemon loafs, and Christmas fruit cakes to name a few of my favorites. Nana always makes this large variety in large quantities not only for guests at her house, but makes portions for her families as well. You can imagine that such a task doesn't start the week before Christmas, but actually in December. The last few years we've seen the selection and quantity drop as Nana is getting older, but hey who isn't? She doesn't walk around as easily as she used to and her arms have given her trouble. Enter me. She wasn't sure if she could make FruitCakes this year, so I offered myself to help and learn this classic goodie. I really enjoyed myself! One of the highlights was when Nana answered the phone without a clue who it was, "Winnie's Bakery"
So if any of my family is reading this you can thank me and Nana when you enjoy FruitCake this holiday season.

2 comments:

Jay&Michelle said...

I do indeed thank You Adam!!! It is kinda funny though that this is the blog entry just after your teeth pulling one. . . just seems funny.

Jason said...

Adam, I'm so jealous that you got to learn how to make that! And I'm even more jealous that you get to eat good food for Christmas.