Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Amazing Brain (As revealed in the world of dreams)

I know many people have said it through the ages, but the human mind is something extraordinary.  I continually have a greater appreciation for what it does.  Lately, I have been fascinated of it through dreams; I don't always sleep well or deep enough to dream, but have been lately and been fascinated by the dreams that have accompanied such sleeps.  The other night in particular struck me in my sleep and after.  I was dreaming about being in the neighborhood I grew-up in, with some people that used to live there as well.  I am not sure what I was doing, but we all had tools and tool belts.  Then in my dream I noticed on one of the others tool belt a remarkable thing:  on their tool belt was a tool I used to use when I worked at the Nursing Home in perfect detail.  All of a sudden, it was like my brain was struck by this as well and thought, "What is that doing there in such detail?"  To explain, most people believe, including myself, that dreams are a collection of your sights, sounds, and thoughts of the previous day or so; usually anything outside of that realm has no detail.  I was in my old neighborhood that day, I had worked with my tool belt and these were in detail in my dream.  I had not seen the people I knew for some time and they were not in detail.  I had not seen or used the tool in some time and yet it was in great detail.  So back to the dream, everything went on pause and the focus shifted to this tool in great detail and an overall sense of how and why in the dream.  I woke-up still amazed that my brain for some reason chose to pull that image out of nowhere in great detail, and then still remembered the dream in great detail.  Dreams are a fascinating thing; I wish I remembered more of them or had some way of recording them.  Should people figure out a way to record dreams it would be phenomenal; TV as we know it would be dead, and perhaps people would be more self-reflective.  My other dream was about my brother and I opening up for the Rolling Stones in some weird castle.

No comments: