Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wedding Party

I was in a wedding party this past weekend; it was for my friend Devan.  This wasn't my first encounter with weddings or wedding parties, like some of the younger folks attending; in fact besides being ring boy and father of the bride, I've done all a man can do in a wedding.  I really enjoyed myself this weekend, and in particular I enjoyed hanging with the rest of the groomsmen.  I find it very interesting how a lot of times at weddings you get together with a lot of people you don't know, but there is already a common bond: the wedding couple.  Because of that you often share characteristics with others present because the groom is who he is and is likely to be friends with certain type of people.  So, the same reason that made my friendship with Devan what it is, made it pretty easy to get along with his other friends.  Obviously sometimes a wedding party is very tight because they do hang out together lots aside from the wedding; this was the experience of my own wedding.  The other thing that struck me is how wedding pictures often portray this tight-knit bond, but is usually farther from the truth.  You might have one side of a wedding party very familiar with each other, but to have both the groom and bride's parties tight is rare.  But yet in wedding pictures we portray that we're all friendly with one another.  I can tell you the name of the girl I was "coupled" with in this last wedding, but yet I couldn't tell you another thing.  I wonder how we will come out in the pictures.  The truth is weddings are a wonderful thing to unite people and share good times; it's appropriate to call those involved a wedding party.

No comments: