Thursday, June 28, 2012

When your server says it's the kitchen's fault...

I have spent time as a server (which I was horrible at) and I have spent time in the kitchen, including my current employment at Original Joe's.  Something I must stress to you when you eat at a restaurant: when the server blames the kitchen they are trying to cover their own butt.  The modern kitchen system is designed to be error-free for the cooks preparing your food; unless it is rang in wrong by the server, which it often is.  One of my colleagues in the kitchen was furious because their friend informed them of a meal in our restaurant where the server tried to blame it on the kitchen instead of owning up to their mistake.  Let me tell you why it cannot be the kitchen's fault: When an order is entered it is printed on a ticket, not hand-written, and it is easy to read; if you made any special requests for your order it is printed on there as well.  The ticket is inspected by supervisor and directed to the kitchen.  When your food is plated it is double-checked with the ticket before going across the window to the expo to be served.  In the expo it is again inspected according to the ticket and ensured that all details are correct.  Then after all checks it is delivered to you.  I don't know how many times we will get food back in the kitchen and it is qualified with, "the server entered it in wrong", but I know the majority of the time the server blames it on the kitchen to save face.  I mentioned before that I was a horrible server, but one thing I can be proud of as a server is I never threw my kitchen under the bus.  So the next time your server blames the kitchen, don't be so quick to forgive and tip big.

No comments: